/* Template Name: Blank Page */ COMMENTS | The Outsider Interviews

We’d love to hear your thoughts about the book. Please add them below.

12 Comments.

14.07.10

Comment by lcozad.

I would like to use the DVB in my Sunday School class. Is there a leader’s guide? Does the material lend itself for easy group discussion? Thank you for shedding light on this important area if the church is to survive.

30.07.10

Comment by cspinks.

Hi Icozad,
There are small group discussion questions included in the book, but not a separate leader guide. Between the video clips and discussion questions, it definitely lends itself well for group discussion.
Hope it works out well for you! – Craig –

30.07.10

Comment by Jeff.

I watched the 3 minute trailer of interviews. The one thing I immediately noticed was that everyone looked as if they had shown up for a job interview! Bathed, well-pressed, neat and tidy to the “T”. Looks like the young adults group at the local mega-church. Everyone interviewed on the same stage. Like it or not, it makes me wonder about the validity of it all. Beyond that it just looks lame and over-produced.

30.07.10

Comment by act.

I saw this book in the bookstore and was encouraged by it. I read just the “lessons learned” section by the authors near the appendix and thought the insights were worthwhile.

I think books like this one are essential in trying to communicate with pastors and church people (who possibly have very few meaningful spiritual interactions with unchurched or dechurched people or those who don’t identify with Christianity) all that has changed in our culture and how it has affected people’s attitude to Christianity and to those who try to evangelize them using a modern approach (scripted, aggressive, one-directional, project-oriented, stranger). We need new ways of thinking about evangelism and Christian witness.

My only thought/request is that the publishers would make the videos more widely available. Many people who need to hear this are not going to buy the book or DVD. Being able to pass the video interviews along for free (via email, social media, etc) would be ideal.

I will check back in the Extra section to see when the document “How do I start a conversation like this in my church” is available for download.

A resource like “questions to ask to start meaningful spiritual dialogue with postmoderns” would also be a great contribution.

Authors, thanks for these resources.

05.08.10

Comment by jimhender.

Act

We will be making a number of the video clips available for free very soon

Thanks for the suggestion

09.02.13

Comment by Pendar.

Outsider Interviewers,
I’m writing from the South and having read through your book and watched the DVD extra I feel there are numerous positive implications of this “set.” It points out various places where the orthodox Christian has failed those outside the fellowship of God. I use the phrase “outside the fellowship of God” because it is a Biblically important one. The Israelites understood that being within the “confines” of God’s “camp” was to be within the divine grace of life. To step “outside the camp” was to give yourself over to death or pain. This was carried over into the NT with different references to God’s camp (both in its initial “to the Jews first, then the Gentiles” and the constant encouragement that one was now abiding in God where they hadnt at first).
In today’s America we are split in how we treat issues and respond to Biblical imperatives and concepts. As a Southerner I was, at times, “put off” by the appraisal of “Christians” by many of those interviewed (and interviewers). The “anti-____” attitudes that “Christians” must have, and their complete denial of love or grace towards sinners was constantly referred to in your set with no condemnation of that concept. By “no condemnation” I mean no one ever stood up and said, “well, that is a blanket statement. There ARE Christians who hold firm, biblical beliefs, but love the sinner as Christ did.”
I feel like to do justice to Christianity you need to “redo” your set in other places around the country. You cannot tell me that the MidWest and West Coast of America represents the “whole of American Christianity.” I consider myself to be an educated, conservative, orthodox, evangelical Christian. I deny the rejection of absolutes, but I engage the conversation of relativism in order to shed light on Christ being the Ultimate Truth. I deny condemnation AND acceptance of homosexuality because the Holy Word of God is clear in it’s upholding the sinfulness of homosexuality. However, I am not the Christian that is constantly referred to in the DVB that hates gays because he doesnt 100% support them. I could go through other major issues brought up in the DVB, but that would take too long (and there is a high chance this message wont make it past the filter to even be read).
All in all, as teachers of God’s Word, in the modern age where your words reach hundreds of thousands of people (Christian and outsider alike) I feel you need to provide more answers than simply ask thought provoking questions (p105). Those who teach are judged with a higher judgment than those who do not. I would be more than happy to engage in conversation with anyone who picks this message up. And let me say that I was very encouraged by the way the DVB harps on “listening,” as this is the most under-rated aspect of the Christian. Thank you all for that! I do look forward to a response, though I won’t expect one. I just hope that my comments make someone think critically both about their current convictions and those presented in this DVB.

God bless.

07.03.13

Comment by Ryan Archaen.

Im just now watching and reading the book- something I wonder is if this is too much like a marketing strategy guide for some ‘business’ version of Christianity. We may be learning to communicate better, but is it just do make a sale, still? Some honest digression would be highly illuminating…

10.03.13

Comment by Craig Spinks.

Ryan, I can only speak for myself (Jim and Todd would probably have a different perspective), but it does seem to me that any form of evangelism is a form of “sales”. Personally, I’d be happy if Christians didn’t feel the need to spread their belief system. But, the book was written for those who do feel this is a necessary part of their faith. My hope from co-writing the book was to help these people adjust their techniques in a way that would be both more effective for them and more respectful of others with differing beliefs. Seems like a win/win to me. But, in the process, it can come across like sales techniques, which they are:) Thanks for your comment!

27.06.13

Comment by gwen.

I bought this book from CBD because it was offered at the price of $1 – and I feel I waasted my money! What I saw were ‘interviews’ where ‘outsiders’ gave their highly generalized views and ‘insiders’ passively agreed with them. How would the ‘outsiders’ have liked to be generalized in the same way? There was no attempt to get past this generalization, in fact it appeared to be given nothing by support by the ‘insiders’ they were supposedly dialoguing with. The ‘outsiders’ didn’t like to be told they needed to be ‘born again’ and since Jesus coined this term, they should probably take it up with Him. They didn’t like to be ‘judged’, but the New Testament tells Christians they are to judge – with righteous judgment (Jn. 7:24). They complain about hypocrisy, and so should any genuine Christian and any true Church will not tolerate this either. But, is there not something hypocritical in complaining about being judged while at the same time passing judgment on others? – which appears to be what the ‘outsiders’ are pretty comfortable with. What really made me put the book and DVD down in disgust was the story about the girl who had an abortion and was supported by her ‘Christian’ friend and this was applauded by you who put the book and DVD together. How is it applaudable support the killing of a helpless baby? How is it applaudable to aid and abet in this killing by providing transportation to the death chamber, while saying you don’t support the decision? This looks to me like profound hypocrisy and the ‘outsider’ who complained about the hypocrisy of ‘insiders’ had no problem with this when it suited her purposes. I thought this might be a worthwhile read, and it could be if it had truly attempted to build a bridge between ‘insiders’ and ‘outsiders’. But it appears to me more of an attempt to coerce ‘insiders’ AKA Christians to compromise truth to make it palatable to ‘outsiders’. ‘Outsiders’ and ‘insiders’ alike need to humbly submit to God’s truth, not arrogantly try to restructure it to make it palatable and popular.

20.10.14

Comment by Google.

This is because this device assures to either benefit or cure
the autistic people in more ways than one.
In addition, the observing surgeons could transmit
their comments to the operating surgeon, who could read them on the Google Glass monitor.
* Page SEO: Your page is optimized by various means which include, choosing the right keywords, placing
them right, adding anchor text linking, adding call
to action in various places on the page.

07.11.14

Comment by joel Patrick Aboi.

I read your book and it got me wondering if you wrote that book for the purpose of glorifying Jesus or you felt like doing something to cajole the young adult to come to church. I advise you check Romans12:2 that is what the young adult need. With what you gave them,they won’t last if they come to christ because they had the wrong foundation.

28.10.15

Comment by imgur.

This is also possible if they offer SEO as part of their service.
The web design on a web hosting providers website is a quick and easy indication of the quality of the provider.
The laws have been changing and many portals that offer services are finding
it harder and harder to get their word out there.